Tuesday, April 5, 2011

What Makes You Write?

I thought it would be interesting to pose the question to fellow authors, what makes you write? I would like to know what drives your passion for putting hundreds of words on a page and creating a world that seems interesting to you.

For me, I get this idea that won't quite let go. It taps me on the shoulder throughout the day, follows me to bed at night, and is there beaconing me in the morning when I wake. The idea that I have created a world, different in so many aspects from any other world created by anyone else, is rewarding in itself and a challenge at the same time.

2 comments:

C.J Duggan said...

Oooh I love these questions!!
It's the million dollar question isn't it? For me it's a sence of utter escapism! The utter joy I get of telling my characters stories is so fulfilling, they are with me all day everyday expanding their worlds. Also the constant learning of the craft, I know other writers will share the buzz that you get of creating something and sharing it with others! Sure it's at times hard, long frustrating work but we wouldn't change it for the world! For me the rewards outway anything else, it's as much apart of me as breathing!

T.M. Hobbs said...

@C.J Duggan
CJ, first let me say thank you for following my blog. That means a lot. As for your answer to my question, I don't know that I could have summed it up better myself. The characters are with you all throughout the day, as if they are a part of your everyday life as well. And the feeling of creating a world for them to reside and flourish is such a satisfying feeling. I would also agree that there are times, those where I feel frustrated that the words will not flow effortlessly, that I am most discouraged, but then I will set down at that keyboard and type a few words then it all starts coming back to me and I feel refreshed and confident that I can do it again. Thanks so much for dropping by. I hope you get this reply, I've been working the replies reach the person commenting. :)

Post a Comment